Shani Jayanti is held in honor of the mighty Lord Saturn, as this day is considered as the birthday of the planet God Saturn. Shani Jayanti is celebrated on the New Moon (Aamavsya) day of Krishna Paksha in the month of Vaishakh, in order to please Lord Saturn. Devotees observe this day by performing special pujas and rituals, fasting, and reciting mantras. They do seek blessings from Lord Shani for prosperity and success. Know what rituals you can perform and remove negativities from your life on Shani Jayanti 2023.
Shani Jayanti 2023 : Date & timing
Devotees will celebrate the auspicious occasion of Shani Jayanti in 2023 on Friday, May 19th. The Amavsya tithi will begin on May 18th, 2023 at 9:42 PM and will end on May 19th, at 09:22 PM.
Shani is a Dev and son of Surya Dev (the Hindu Sun God) and his wife Chhaya (shadow goddess) and hence also known as Chayyaputra. He is the cousin of Yama, the Hindu god of death. It is said that when he opened his eyes as a baby for the very first time, the sun went into an eclipse, which clearly denotes the impact of Shani on astrological charts. Shani is described as having a dark complexion, his caste is Teli (oil vendors), he is clothed in black, holding a sword, arrows, two daggers, mounted on a black vulture or raven and he prays to Kal -bhairav (god of time).
Shani is said to be older in age and that is why he is looked upon as an old man. Shani is a shadow planet or “Chhaya -Graha”- that part of a person which is normally not seen. He is known as the greatest teacher. Shani dev is said to be very harmful to those who follow the path of betrayal, backstabbing and unjust revenge. He is known in Hindu scriptures as the greatest trouble giver as well as the greatest well-wisher. Shani brings upon everyone, a period of bad luck that is Sadhe Sati -seven and a half years of Shani crossing the moon sign (Rashi) in a horoscope i. e. two and a half years in the sign before the moon sign, and two and a half years in the moon sign and two and a half years in the sign after the moon sign in any horoscope. This period normally brings hardships and difficulties but many people have seen their astronomical rise in this period. Also, people who go through difficulties during their sadhe sati emerge much stronger, more self-aware, and better human beings after this period is over. Shani has been given the portfolio of justice just as Sun has been given the portfolio of Fame and Jupiter of Dharma and Venus of happiness.
Rituals to be performed on Shani Jayanti
- Observing a fast on Shani Jayanti is highly beneficial as it helps to appease Lord Shani. It will also help mitigate the negative effects of Saturn in one’s horoscope.
- Devotees can perform special pujas and havans to seek the blessings of Lord Shani. They may offer flowers, fruits, and other items to the deity.
- They may also recite mantras and shlokas to please the Lord.
- Visiting Lord Shani temple is another popular custom followed during this time. Devotees may offer oil, sesame seeds, and other items to the deity as a way of seeking blessings and
protection from the God of Karma.
- Devotees may also perform the Shani Tailabhishekam ritual, where they offer oil to the deity to seek his blessings and protection.
- Give away everyday essentials to the needy or poor in charity to seek blessings from the deity
Shani Jayanti Do’s & Dont’s
- Do not consume non-vegetarian food as it is considered impure and contradicts the benefits of Shani Jayanti vrat.
- Do not consume alcohol or tobacco.
- Do not take on any new or important tasks or begin anything fresh.
- Avoid wearing gold or silver on Shani Jayanti.
- Do not sleep during day time on Shani Jayanti.
- Avoid cutting nails or hair on this day
Chant “Om Shanishcharaya Namah” 108 times to achieve the blessings of the deity, make sure on the Shani Jayanti 2023 date, you observe Shani Jayanti Vrat and perform the needed rituals. Also,
be kind and do good deeds to please the Lord of Karma.
— By Divyaa Sablok